February 2015 was a good month for investors and for my portfolio. I was sure stocks would tumble given the current strength of U.S. currency. I still believe the market will go down at some point over the next few months. Maybe investors are being cautiously optimistic, though this may change when earnings for Q1 are announced. I anticipate companies with heavy international operations will report negative results in sales and revenue. Last month I added a handful of new positions to my fund which can been seen at my January 2015 post. This month I bought three stocks and sold two stocks.
I spent most of my time evaluating stocks and getting ready for the large influx of capital I will be adding in March. I described what I am doing in detail in my previous post, My Dividend Investor Dilemma.
In the month of February I made the following transactions:
- SOLDOUT – Realty Income Corp, O, totalling $1,010.41
- SOLDOUT – Digital Realty Trust, DLR, totalling $1,222.98
- PURCHASED – National-Oilwell Varco, NOV, adding 25 shares to my position totaling $1,315.20
- PURCHASED – Ford Motor Company, F, initiating a position with 73 shares totaling $1,170.57
- PURCHASED – Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, CM, initiating a position with 16 shares, totaling $1,219.59
I was happy with DLR and O, but I wanted to add to my NOV position so I sold these stocks. I chose to sellout because I think both stocks are overvalued. I took my earnings and spread the money across NOV, F and CM. I intend to repurchase DLR and O later in the year, likely when interest rates rise as I believe shares in these stocks will fall as rates increase.
Portfolio Update – February 2015
Month over month, portfolio, 401k and Roth 401k, and Savings/Emergency fund actuals are as follows:
Investment Hunting Portfolio Update
February 1st, 2015, my portfolio cost basis was $23,336. Today my cost basis is $25,733. My February portfolio market value is $28,116, up from the January total of $25.313.
401k and Roth 401k Fund Update
My balance as of February 27th, 2015 was $110,222. This month’s gain is $5,782. I added $3,365 to my 401k in February.
Emergency Savings Fund Update
My emergency savings account ended February at $32,708, down $9,466 from my January total. I carry no debt so this account fluctuates by $10,000 any given month. The reason for the drop in February was from paying off credit cards and moving a few thousand dollars to my retirement account
Month Over Month Update
When everything is added up, my month over month actuals from January 2015 to February 2015 went up from $171,628 to $175,046. This is a $3,418 increase in my net worth.
Full Disclosure: Long NOV, F, CM
Latest posts by Investment Hunting (see all)
- Should You Do Real Estate Investment With A Partner? - April 8, 2017
- Stock Buy – Hormel Foods Corp (HRL) - April 4, 2017
- Blogger Interview – From Cents To Retirement - April 3, 2017